erinarkin

Phoebe North
Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell

Pretty Dark Nothing

Pretty Dark Nothing - Heather L. Reid Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy for review.I requested Pretty Dark nothing because at first glance, the story sounded interesting and the cover was really pretty and I’m a sucker for lovely covers. Here is what the blurb states:It’s been twenty three days since Quinn has slept for more than minutes at a time. Demons have invaded her dreams, stalking her, and whispering of her death. The lack of sleep and crippling fear are ruining her life. Energy drinks and caffeine pills don’t make a dent. When Quinn dozes off in the school hallway, Aaron, an amnesiac with a psychic ability, accidentally enters her nightmare. The demons are determined to keep them apart, and Aaron from discovering the secret locked away in his memory. Together, they could banish the darkness back to the underworld for good. That is, unless the demons kill them first.That blurb sounds interesting to me…but unfortunately this book falls into an all too common mistake of making the focus of the book the boyfriend/girlfriend aspect versus what the blurb actually describes.Let’s start with what I liked. First, the cover is lovely…it is actually what drew me in to begin with. Second, the story had a lot of potential. This is where things take a turn for me.Quinn was perfect (she is actually referred to as “Quinn Perfect” in the book) – she was dating the most popular boy, was captain of the cheerleaders, and had good enough grades to be considered for valedictorian. After Jeff, Quinn’s boyfriend, goes away for the summer things start to fall apart. He is distant when he returns and eventually breaks up with her via text. This becomes the catalyst to Quinn falling apart…her grades drop, she is not allowed to participate in cheerleading and her relationships with friends and family become strained. Underlying all of this, she is also unable to sleep because when she does, the shadows/demons taunt her and make her doubt herself.As the story progresses we only get bits and pieces of the demon aspect and when Aaron is introduced Quinn focuses more on who she should be with than the fact that she should probably figure out why she can’t get away from these shadows. Also questionable here is the fact that she and Aaron never really tried to figure out why they had a connection. Considering the real story behind Aaron’s mysterious gift and Quinn’s issue isn't even really brought up until the final chapter. The rest of the book just reads like a teen romance (?) with questionable dialogue and even more questionable characters.Quinn was not my favorite – she was too wishy washy and when it came to her ex-boyfriend I found her downright annoying. I think Reese (the best friend) was supposed to be the voice of reason but it felt somewhat fake and I never really felt that they were truly best friends. I liked Aaron but we really didn't get into the heart of his story until late in the story. Don’t get me wrong, we get glimpses into his life along the way but I really wanted more than just his back and forth with Quinn. Also, there felt like there was more to the character Jenna but we got absolutely nothing regarding her and her role in the story.To say I was disappointed in this would be pretty accurate. I’m not sure if the author plans to continue this book into a series but that ending left some major questions unanswered and it absolutely ended on a cliffhanger…one of those things that typically makes me angry.