erinarkin

Phoebe North
Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell

Defiance

Defiance - C.J. Redwine After skimming the ratings on this one I felt like I needed to dive right in...and boy did I. I will warn everyone - I am hiding this review. I feel like some of it gives a bit of the story away so turn away and come back after you read it if you are truly interested.The story begins with Rachel waiting at the gates of her town (I'm not even going to try to spell it) for her father to return. We find out he is 60 days late and based on the Commander's rules, is to be declared dead. With the declaration and the reading of her father's will, we find he made a decision about who her protector should be that shocks everyone. Instead of putting Rachel in the care of Oliver, her grandfather figure, Logan becomes her protector. First, let me say - the commander is an a-hole...it is very clear the first time he is introduced and he only reinforces it throughout the entire story. He has too much power and ego...There is a lot of history between Logan and Rachel but I am happy that it wasn't dragged out and we get to the rest of the story - Their quest to rescue/find Rachel's father and hopefully take down the Commander at the same time.I really enjoyed the story and the characters in this one. Rachel is tough, smart and acts rashly but knows that is one of her flaws. The other thing I liked about her was the same thing the Commander thought was her fault - loyalty. She would do anything for the people she cares about. Logan is almost perfect - he is strong, knows how to fight, very smart (I love how he runs through all potential scenarios with decisions - no matter what they are) and truly cares for the people in his life. He has experienced a lot in his 19 years and most of it things he shouldn't have. His mother was executed in front of him and he was made an outcast. He has plenty of reasons to be angry but instead he becomes an apprentice to Jared Adams (Rachel's dad) and makes a plan for the future. Jared is a character that has an importance despite him not being involved in the actual story. His being missing is the catalyst to everything progressing the way it did but as a reader I was able to understand how important he was to Rachel, Logan and Oliver. This story has a little bit of everything. There is a lot of action throughout the book, there is definitely a love story here but it doesn't take over the main story which is great. I felt like I got just enough to between them to move their relationship forward and although I am always for a HEA ending, I figured it was too soon. I will say there is also a bit of intrigue here...the biggest question being what the heck is going on with the Cursed One.I will most definitely be continuing to read this series and look forward to the next book.