erinarkin

Phoebe North
Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell

First Comes Love

First Comes Love - Katie Kacvinsky First Comes Love was a nice little surprise. I have to admit, I have put off this book mainly because of the cover – I’m not a huge fan. Since reading the character descriptions, it really doesn't work for me. Despite that, the book quickly drew me in with some wonderful characters and a good story.Gray is a closed off guy who happens to be taking classes at the Mesa Community College when he crosses paths with Dylan. Mostly he notices her because she is doing something odd and is very different from the “typical” Phoenix girl. Out of curiosity more than anything else, Gray approaches Dylan and so begins the start of their relationship.I loved Gray – yes he is moody and cynical but it was what made him such a great character. He and his family have experienced a horrible tragedy and because of it, he decided it was easier to put up walls and withdraw. It was wonderful to see the shift in him throughout the novel and his growth was perfectly done. Add to this a man who listens to good music and can play the guitar and I’m sold. I liked Dylan as well and the way she approached everything was refreshing. I just didn't understand why…yes there was the paragraph about how she grew up in a small town but I wanted more information about why she felt the need to wander so much. Even the conversation Gray had with Dylan’s mother implied something more was there but I didn't get to hear her story as much…and I wanted to.The book switches between Gray’s and Dylan’s point of views and Kacvinsky does a great job of bringing the reader into the minds of both characters. Dylan spends a lot of time trying to break down Gray’s walls and Gray spends a lot of time trying to figure her out. Over time, they get to the point where they are seeing each other constantly and realize they are more than just friends.This was a quick read with an engaging story. I will definitely be picking up book two in this series to see how things go with Gray and Dylan. If you haven’t read this one yet, definitely check it out.This review can be found on my blog, Fic Fare.