erinarkin

Phoebe North
Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell

The Madman's Daughter

The Madman's Daughter - 4-4.5 stars. No spoilers here - I recommend you read this book.I enjoyed this book - there were parts of it that aggravated me but other parts that I really liked. This story begins with Juliet - we find she is the daughter of Henri Moreau, a surgeon who has been accused of performing some horrific scientific experiments. Juliet is sixteen and living on her own in London. Her mother is dead and she has thought her father to be dead for the last 6 years. Inadvertently, she finds out he may be alive by coming across an old childhood friend, Montgomery.A lot happens in this story. Eventually, Juliet travels to the island with Montgomery and she comes to realize some things about her father and herself. There were parts (namely while she and Edward were running through the jungle) that I thought were dragged out too much but I found myself unable to put this book down and kept turning the pages to find out what was going to happen next.I liked Juliet for the most part and I sometimes forgot she was only 16 years old. She was tough at times but also still acted like a young girl who wanted her father to be there for her and love her. Montgomery...what to say about him. He was so torn between loving Juliet and wanting to do what Juliet's father wanted him to do. He was young when he was brought to the island and it was clear in the way he brought pieces of their life from London back from his trips, that he wanted to remember her and that life. The fact that he is caring, brilliant and handsome just added to his charm. Edward is a very interesting character. From the beginning it is clear that he is hiding something - I will admit, was surprised at what it really was. From the beginning, he is drawn to Juliet and she is drawn to him. The other characters helped in moving the story forward - Juliet's father (Henri Moreau) was obviously a critical character but so were Balthasar, Alice, and Jaguar. A great story with some wonderful characters - I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes layers to a story and some twists and turns. I can't wait to find out what happens next.